Security that works
Modern security that doesn’t get in your way.
Passit leans on established security protocols, using technologies like end-to-end RSA + AES encryption and private key passphrases encrypted with PKCS#5. The result is a system where Passit’s operator doesn’t know and can’t decrypt what passwords are stored. Even if an attacker could compromise a Passit server, he or she would still need a user’s password to make sense of the data.
Trust, by verifying
Open source code means you don’t have to take us at our word.
Closed source software provides no way for you to validate the security model. Backdoors or flaws can be introduced at any time without your knowledge. Our open source model combined with the ability to self-host means you can trust that Passit is doing what it claims to do.
Passit anywhere, to anyone
Easily take your passwords to any online device and share them with others.
Passit stores your passwords online, so if your device has an Internet connection, you can access all of your sensitive information on it. Group features will allow you to share your passwords with friends, family, or coworkers. Good design and a slick user experience are important goals of the project, so we’re aiming to make these features as
With our initial release, we hope to include features such as:
- Sharing passwords
- Group and permission management
- Access across platforms
For future releases, we hope to include features like a hosted service, customizable secret types, more platforms and extensions, data importing/exporting, and more.
- Proof of concept (we are here)
- Basic security audit: Limited consulting with security expert to review the basic concepts
- Release 1: Self-hosted Passit. With SSL this will be secure even if our security model is totally broken. Plaintext password saves are fine as long as the application/database is not compromised.
- Fundraising: Kickstarter to fund an independent security audit and additional features.
- Release 2: SaaS Passit. While we’ll still recommend self-hosting for optimal security, this will be available for less technical users and will provide us with a revenue stream.
About the Developers
Burke Software and Consulting is a small team of software developers doing consulting work and supporting open source software development. Passit is self-funded from our consulting business for now, though we are certainly open to raising additional funds.
Join the Project
Interested in helping us create Passit? We’d love the help! Passit is currently a work in progress and will always be a work in progress due to the ever-changing world of digital security.
We’re working primarily in Python and Angular 2. We’re also interested in having security experts audit our system to ensure its safety.